I really enjoyed reading your paper. Wilhlem made some really good points through his theories that I have heard on multiple other occasions. Allowing the students to become immersed in the reading through drama, or what I thought of as readers' theater, is a great way to get students to interact with reading. Just as Wilhelm stated it allows the students to add in their own creativity making it an experience they will remember! Another thing that was mentioned within your paper were think-alouds and this is something that we even talking about in our book for this class. Wilhelm seems to really have some valid theories for reluctant readers.
Amanda, Thank you for providing an overall glimpse into Jeffrey Wilhelm's life and theories. I have not read much about him before, but I agree with his advocacy of inquiry-based learning. I thought an interesting aspect of your paper was his interest in young men's lack of interest in literacy. His study indicating a link between boys and character immersion seems worthwhile. When you spoke of how he integrated drama and technology in the curriculum, I wondered what activities or strategies he used. His attention to inferencing during think-alouds reminds me of the first-grade teacher participant I worked with during my recent pilot study. She was a huge proponent of teaching inferencing because she had prior experience with older students who lacked in that skill. I also liked how you showcased the steps to creating an inquiry-based classroom. This is a great starting point for teachers who are interested in working inquiry into their curriculum.
Amanda, I love how your theorist, Jeffrey Wilhelm, stressed the importance of drama in the classroom. I have found my students to absolutely love being able to act out certain scenes from a text. Not only do they love doing so, it helps tremendously with their comprehension skills. I never thought of the idea of using “think-alouds” in the classroom. I feel as though this is a great strategy to use while reading because often time’s students lack the comprehension skills necessary and can get lost in the text. This gives the students the opportunity to either ask questions or provide insight into the text that their peers might not have picked up on. I also really enjoyed reading about the importance of integrating technology into lessons. I found out during my student teaching that my students were more engaged in lessons when I used technology. We completed jeopardy reviews on the Smart Board over readings we had completed. They loved being able to work together as a team to answer questions while furthering their comprehension skills. Reading different peoples theorist’s papers from our class has been a very helpful tool in thinking of ways to develop a more effective literacy program. I just finished my undergrad and this has really allowed me to gather some great ideas. Thank you for sharing such great insight!
I really enjoyed reading your paper. Wilhlem made some really good points through his theories that I have heard on multiple other occasions. Allowing the students to become immersed in the reading through drama, or what I thought of as readers' theater, is a great way to get students to interact with reading. Just as Wilhelm stated it allows the students to add in their own creativity making it an experience they will remember! Another thing that was mentioned within your paper were think-alouds and this is something that we even talking about in our book for this class. Wilhelm seems to really have some valid theories for reluctant readers.
ReplyDeleteAmanda,
ReplyDeleteThank you for providing an overall glimpse into Jeffrey Wilhelm's life and theories. I have not read much about him before, but I agree with his advocacy of inquiry-based learning. I thought an interesting aspect of your paper was his interest in young men's lack of interest in literacy. His study indicating a link between boys and character immersion seems worthwhile. When you spoke of how he integrated drama and technology in the curriculum, I wondered what activities or strategies he used. His attention to inferencing during think-alouds reminds me of the first-grade teacher participant I worked with during my recent pilot study. She was a huge proponent of teaching inferencing because she had prior experience with older students who lacked in that skill.
I also liked how you showcased the steps to creating an inquiry-based classroom. This is a great starting point for teachers who are interested in working inquiry into their curriculum.
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteI love how your theorist, Jeffrey Wilhelm, stressed the importance of drama in the classroom. I have found my students to absolutely love being able to act out certain scenes from a text. Not only do they love doing so, it helps tremendously with their comprehension skills. I never thought of the idea of using “think-alouds” in the classroom. I feel as though this is a great strategy to use while reading because often time’s students lack the comprehension skills necessary and can get lost in the text. This gives the students the opportunity to either ask questions or provide insight into the text that their peers might not have picked up on. I also really enjoyed reading about the importance of integrating technology into lessons. I found out during my student teaching that my students were more engaged in lessons when I used technology. We completed jeopardy reviews on the Smart Board over readings we had completed. They loved being able to work together as a team to answer questions while furthering their comprehension skills. Reading different peoples theorist’s papers from our class has been a very helpful tool in thinking of ways to develop a more effective literacy program. I just finished my undergrad and this has really allowed me to gather some great ideas. Thank you for sharing such great insight!