Activity 1:
Complete Exercise #3c on page 58 in the text: first write a definition of each word listed. Did you notice yourself using any fairly consistent principle for determining what the words might mean? Discuss. Then read the first chapter of A Clockwork Orange to find the meanings of at least six of the words: http://www.hubertlerch.com/pdf/Burgess_A_Clockwork_Orange.pdf. In each case, how do you finally determine what the word means?
creech- a sound like a screech
droogs- drugs
glazzies- glasses
goloss- shiny
malenky- mischievious fun
messel- a small portion of food
millicents- scoundrels
poogly- pudgy
razrez- miscellaneous junk
skorry- stupid
spatted- past tense of spit
zoobies- zombies
I looked at the word and then used a definition of a word that sounded similar to the original word.
droogs- friends
skorry- quickly
glazzies-eyes
spatted-been with
messel- idea, vision
goloss- voice
poogly- scared
creech-scream, yell
razrez-rip
zoobies- teeth
millicents- police
I missed a few of the words, but after reading the chapter, I was able to use context clues from the sentences to decipher the meanings of the words.
Activity 2:
1. We don't read words letter by letter; we use sound and letter patterns.
2. I chunked the words into syllables.
3. I did not sample the letters all at once.
4. sarsaparilla, plesiosaur, ingenue
5. Pronouncing the words made me realize that recogonized the words and thus knew the meaning.
6. I sound out the words as best I can and look to the rest of the sentence or sentences around the word to determine the meaning.
7. Students will have a harder time deciphering unfamiliar words when they are alone verus when they are being used in a sentence. When I give spelling tests, I use the word in a sentence so the student is aware of which part of speech the word is and how it is being used.
No comments:
Post a Comment