Thursday, June 28, 2012

Module 4: Reading Reflection

Looking across Chapters 10 and 11, which of the understandings and strategies in the comprehensive literacy program are you already addressing/doing with your students (or have you done, or do you plan to do)?

After reading chapters 10 and 11, I realized that I already implement many of the components of a comprehensive literacy program in my classroom.

In second grade, I used shared reading as whole group instruction. We would read our story of the week several times so the students could become familiar with it. I also had guided reading groups to help students with phonics and comprehension. My guided reading groups were leveled so I was able to work on what students needed most. We would also have independed reading every day. Every morning when students came in the classroom and whenever they finished their work early, they had the opportunity to read a book of their choosing. My students really enjoyed this because they were avid readers!

In second grade as well as fifth grade, I used many writing strategies. I would write-aloud whenever we started a new writing unit. This would allow me to model what I was thinking to my students. I would start shared writing to get my students brains working before we would move to independent writing. I am a firm believer in this because the only way to improve anything is to practice, practice, practice. I made my students write a lot and I think it really helped their writing abilities. I would give writing conferences to my students to help them with where they struggled and to praise them where they did well.

No comments:

Post a Comment