Do you agree with Marilyn Adams (1990, p. 108) who argued that rather than relying on context, “Skillful readers of English thoroughly process the individual letters of words in their texts?” Why or why not?
I do not agree with this statement. After reading "The Boat in the Basement", I found out that I bypassed the errors because I was not reading the individual letters to determind the word. The activities in the book showed me that it is much easier to determine words using consonants versus vowels. You also need the beginnings of words to completely determine the word while reading. When I read I do not look at the individual letters to decipher the word. I only look at a small portion and then am able to read the word. Knowing the beginnings and ends of words allow me to read the word more easily.
There are many other activities such as these floating around the internet showing that you can still read a word even if the middle letters are changed or some of the letters are upside down. This shows that we don't need to look at each individual letter in a word to read and process it.
No comments:
Post a Comment