The other students are able to read words automatically but are not focusing on what they are reading. They may also be reading through the passages quickly to get them read in a certain amount of time, but are hardly paying attention to what they are reading. They may not have a true understanding of the words and may not realize that many words are used differently depending on the sentence. Some of these words also have different inflections depending on their usage.
To help Erica, I would suggest using the "think-aloud" strategy. This strategy is used to help students better comprehend what they are reading. To implement this strategy, you choose a text that would be interesting to the students. Read it aloud while the students follow along with a written copy. As you come upon a trouble spot in the passage, stop and think through the difficulty out loud to the students. Continue to do this throughout the rest of the passage. Once you have finished, invite students to offer their thoughts on any difficulties or trouble spots they came across during the reading. Allow students to continue to practice this in pairs. This will force the students to slow down and truly evaluate what they are reading.
I would not classify these students as struggling readers. Even though they are not reading at the same rate as Erica, they are taking their time to comprehend what they are reading. Fluency is important, however it is not as important as comprehension.
References
Weaver,
C. (2002). Reading process and practice. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann
Educational Books
Amanda, you made some excellent points. Fluency is not as important as comprehension. If the reader cannot make sense of what they are reading there is reason why they should continue to read. Proficient readers make meaning of the text, they do not just read to identify letters. It is important for teachers to teach "whole" reading strategies in order to create strong readers. The think aloud strategy is excellent. I utilized this a lot while teaching my first graders. I often demonstrated using this style when I wanted to relay certain points to them. I would model instruction by "thinking out loud". Students were always interested in how my thought processes worked. In reading, I think this strategy really aids in proficient reading and allows them to analyze their own reading. Once they are able to identify problem areas they can ask for help, or implement a new strategy in order to make the most of their reading.
ReplyDelete